Sika’s 100 Greatest Movies of All Time! 9. Big (1988)
9. Big [DVD] (1988)
Plot: 12-year-old Josh (David Moscow), is tired of being small and makes a wish to an old traveling fair’s machine. The next day, he is surprised to wake up as Josh (Tom Hanks), a 30-something version of himself. As the traveling fair has moved on, he decides to find out where it will go next. While waiting for that information he gets a job at a toy company where he falls in love with Susan (Elizabeth Perkins), and must learn the ways of adulthood. The question is, when the machine finally resurfaces, will he want to go back to his 12-year-old self?
Also Starring: Robert Loggia, John Heard, Jon Lovitz, Mercedes Ruehl, Jared Rushton
Directed by: Penny Marshall
Written by: Gary Ross, Anne Spielberg
Length: 104 min
Gross Revenue: $114,968,774 (USA)
My Favorite Movie Quote:
Paul: What is so special about Baskin?
Susan: He’s a grown up.
“Sika must really love Tom Hanks since this is the fourth movie (the other three being Forrest Gump, Apollo 13, The Green Mile) of his to be featured on the list. Enough already! Give the other actors a chance!”
Two Nominations: Best Actor in a Leading Role (Tom Hanks), Best Writing, Screenplay Written Directly for the Screen (Gary Ross, Anne Spielberg)
And you are right, enough’s enough, this is the end of Hanks reign on this list. And I end it with my favorite movie of his; Big!
And I love it even though it raises a bunch of questions (which I choose to ignore every time I watch it). Questions like:
1. If that machine really could make your wishes come true, why the hell didn’t Josh hire a fork lift and take it home with him? I would have loved to see a sequel where Josh (Tom Hanks), now in his fifties, is an obese man playing video games in his basement; looking over to the machine and saying: “I wish I had some potato chips right now”. And a bag would magically appear in his hand!!
3. If, at the end, the reason Elizabeth Perkins looks sad, is because she realizes she’s basically been a pedophile throughout the entire movie?
I guess I’ll never know the answers and I don’t even know if I want to. The movie is great anyway!
Next up on the list: Not a Tom Hanks movie.
Nerdiest Movie Trivia: Tom Hanks was the first choice to play Josh but was unavailable due to scheduling conflicts with the films Dragnet and Punchline.
Robert De Niro was then offered the lead role but was rejected because his salary demand ($6 million) was too high. Tom Hanks then became available and accepted the lead role for $2 million.
PREVIOUS ON THE LIST:
10. The Blues Brothers (1980)
- Tom Hanks refunds couple $25 (vault9.net)
- Late to finding Zoltar! A review of Big (latetothemovies.com)
- The Many Faces of… Tom Hanks (myfilmviews.wordpress.com)
- Tom Hanks. Genius. (deesdailydose.wordpress.com)
- Falling in Love with…Tom Hanks (crystalspins.com)
- Tom Hanks Narrates ‘BOATLIFT,’ Honors Untold 9/11 Story Of Mariner Heroes (winningreview.wordpress.com)