Sika’s 100 Greatest Movies of All Time! 11. Alien (1979)
11. Alien – Definitive Edition [DVD] (1979)
Plot: When Ellen Ripley (Sigourney Weaver) and the crew aboard the Nostromo, on route back to Earth, intercepts a distress signal from a nearby planet, they are obligated to investigate.
After a bad landing, some crew members leave the ship to explore planet. At the same time as they discover a hive colony of some unknown creature, the ship’s computer deciphers the message to be a warning, not a call for help.
In space no one can hear you scream. (tagline)
Also Starring: Veronica Cartwright, Harry Dean Stanton, John Hurt, Ian Holm, Yaphet Kotto
Directed by: Ridley Scott
Written by: Dan O’Bannon
Length: 117 min
Gross Revenue: $185,000,000 (Worldwide)
My Favorite Movie Quote: Ripley: Open the door!
Review: I can’t remember when I first saw this film, but for some reason I was quite “old”. I was five when it came out in 1979 and I think I waited until I was about 16. And it scared the shit out of me!!
I’ve been trying for days to write something funny for this review, but I can’t. This movie seriously scares me. It’s almost like I’m so afraid of it I can’t even make decent jokes about it.
Nerdiest Movie Trivia: The original title was “Star Beast”.
Here’s some crappy jokes I tried to finish but didn’t. And I have to warn you, they are bad:
2. Something about “me thinking the movie was about women” but then I realized I should have done that joke when I reviewed Aliens…
3. John Hurt? Yes, he was.
1 Win: Best Visual Effects (H.R. Giger, Carlo Rambaldi, Brian Johnson, Nick Allder, Denys Ayling)
1 Nomination: Best Art Direction-Set Decoration
PREVIOUS ON THE LIST: 12. Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (1988)
- Nostromo (phildean1963.wordpress.com)
- In Space A Chestburster Will Make You Scream (jeffwinbush.com)
- Sika’s 100 Greatest Movies of All Time! 55. Aliens (1986) (lunkiandsika.wordpress.com)
- …With Your Best Shot: Aliens (okinawaassault.wordpress.com)