Sika’s 100 Greatest Movies of All Time! 41. A Fish Called Wanda (1988)
41. A Fish Called Wanda [DVD] (1988)
Plot: Wanda (Jamie Lee Curtis) brings her lover, Otto (Kevin Kline) to England to help her, her boyfriend George (Tom Georgeson) and stuttering animal lover Ken (Michael Palin) steal $20 million in diamonds. Wanda and Otto turn in George to the police to get the loot for themselves, only to find that George already has hidden the diamonds. All four criminals start double-crossing each other to try to get to the diamonds before anyone else. Wanda tries to find them by getting close to George’s barrister, Archie Leach (John Cleese).
A tale of murder, lust, greed, revenge, and seafood. (tagline)
Also Starring: Maria Aitken, Patricia Hayes, Cynthia Cleese, Geoffrey Palmer, Stephen Fry
Directed by: Charles Crichton
Written by: John Cleese
Length: 108 min
Gross Revenue: $63,493,712 (USA) £12,034,000 (UK)
Otto: Avoid the green ones. They’re not ripe yet.
Oh man, I love the eighties!!
Oscar Count: 1 Win: Best Actor in a Supporting Role (Kevin Kline) 2 Nominations: Best Director (Charles Crichton) Best Writing, Screenplay Written Directly for the Screen (John Cleese, Charles Crichton)
PREVIOUS ON THE LIST: 42. Edward Scissorhands (1990)
- John Cleese claims London is “no longer an English city” (mirror.co.uk)
- Even John Cleese didn’t know how old his girlfriend was! (heatworld.com)
- Waking up to the results of multiculturalism (via Diary of a Mad Conservative) (wdednh.wordpress.com)
- The world view: Americans are too dumb to appreciate “football” (yanksplayfootball.wordpress.com)
- John Cleese (retrorambling.wordpress.com)