Sika’s 100 Greatest Movies of All Time! 85. Man on the Moon (1999)
85. Man On The Moon [DVD] (1999)
Plot: The story follows comedian Andy Kaufman (Jim Carrey) from childhood through the comedy clubs and tv appearances that made him famous, like those on Saturday Night Live, Late Night with David Letterman, including his role as “Latka Gravas” on the sitcom Taxi. The film pays particular attention to the various inside jokes, put-ons, and happenings for which Kaufman was famous, most significantly his “feud” with wrestler Jerry Lawler and his portrayal of the bawdy lounge singer Tony Clifton.
“Hello, my name is Andy and this is my poster.” (tagline)
But when I first saw “Man on the Moon” back in 2000 when it came to Sweden I had no idea who Andy Kaufman was.
Andy Kaufman: You don’t know the real me.
Lynne Margulies: There isn’t a real you.
Andy Kaufman: Oh yeah, I forgot.
And luckily I had seen him be dramatic a year earlier in The Truman Show which helped me go into the cinema NOT thinking Man on the Moon was another “hey I can make funny faces and talk out of my ass”-kind of film.
..well, I was half wrong.. This is somewhere in between Ace Ventura and Truman and instead of ass-talking there are pounding on drums.
Nerdiest Movie Trivia: John Cusack, Kevin Spacey, Hank Azaria, Edward Norton and Jim Carrey all auditioned for the role of Andy Kaufman. Director Milos Forman could not decide between Edward Norton and Jim Carrey for the role, and left it up to the studio which went with the more bankable Carrey.
And, I guess this genius audition tape didn’t hurt either..
I also knew director Milos Forman is a great storyteller, especially when it comes to biographies; like Amadeus and The People vs Larry Flynt. So to combine the acting talent of Jim Carrey with the directing skill of Milos Forman was a genius decision.
And to bring in a supporting cast like Danny DeVito, Courtney Love and Paul Giamatti just adds on the genius. AND on top of that a soundtrack made by Michael Stipe and R.E.M… Yeah, I know! It’s like Andy himself came up with that formula!!
Like this review. Using the word genius seven times sure helped me achieve that.
PREVIOUS ON THE LIST: 86. Reservoir Dogs (1992)
- “Mr. Popper’s Penguins”: What happened to Jim Carrey’s career? (salon.com)
- TAXI: Reverend Jim: A Space Odyssey (milkandcookies.com)
- What It Means to be Poor in Texas (tbking.wordpress.com)
- I Love You Phillip Morris- Didn’t Love The Movie So Much (johnrwillsimovie.wordpress.com)
- Jim Carrey har klippt mohikanfrisyr (expressen.se)
- Jim Carrey dejtar 24-årig modell (expressen.se)
- Hollywoods mörka sida (aftonbladet.se)
- Så kom Jim Carrey över ex-flickvännen (aftonbladet.se)
- Jim Carrey gifter sig med 25 år yngre modell (aftonbladet.se)