My Top Ten Favorite Lonely Movies
I just realized that it’s not only Lunki that’s been absent from the office. Janne the Director and Johnny the Intern has also vanished. I’m not saying I’m lonely, but the last couple of weeks has inspired me two create my own Top Ten List of Movies about lonely people and/or people dealing with loneliness.
Here it is (and no, Cast Away is not on the list, also not that Madonna movie, whatever it was called):
1o. I am Legend. Will Smith finds himself alone on Earth. Sure, it’s the third movie based on Richard Matheson’s 1954 novel I am Legend, but I haven’t seen the other two so in my opinion this is the best one. Also, the first half is one of the strongest halves I have ever seen. The second half however is not.
9. Lars and the Real Girl. Weird Lars (played by Ryan Gosling) strikes up an unconventional relationship with a doll he finds on the Internet. Well, who hasn’t? Nevertheless, a great movie.
8. Birdman of Alcatraz. A convicted murderer held in permanent isolation redeems himself when he becomes a renowned bird expert. Starring Burt Lancaster and it’s in Black and White! What more do you need? Karl Malden you say? Well, I guess then you’re in luck.
7. The Road. A post-apocalyptic tale of a man (Viggo Mortensen) and his son trying to survive by any means possible. Since it has some similarities with The Book of Eli, I had to pick my favorite of the two. However, if you haven’t seen any of them you definitely should; maybe not back-to-back, at least put the next movie on the list in between.
6. Home Alone. Eight year-old Kevin who is accidentally left behind while his family flies to France for Christmas, has to defend his home against idiotic burglars. Sure, it’s cute to see the still innocent-looking Macaulay Culkin star in this Christmas Classic, but for me it’s mostly about the excellent Joe Pesci/Daniel Stern magic moments.
5. WALL-E. In the distant future, a small waste collecting robot inadvertently embarks on a space journey that will ultimately decide the fate of mankind. The unlikely of lonely heroes has worked 700 years straight to make the world look like a better place. Anyone else get reminded of Joan Rivers?
4. Taxi Driver. A Vietnam war veteran works as nighttime taxi driver in a city whose perceived decadence and sleaze feeds his urge to violently lash out, attempting to save a teenage prostitute in the process. Okay, the choice stood between this one and Steve Martin’s The Lonely Guy but I didn’t want to piss anyone off. Especially anyone who speaks to himself in the mirror while holding a gun. I guess a guy like that is truly The Lonely Guy. Oh, and somewhat mentally unstable.
3. Psycho. A young woman steals $40,000 from her employer’s client, and subsequently encounters a young motel proprietor too long under the domination of his mother (imdb). Anthony Perkins is brilliant as super-loner Norman Bates. How he wasn’t nominated for an Academy Award is one of life’s greatest mysteries. It’s right up there with why Gus Van Sant decided to make a frame-by frame remake by this very film in 1998. Sure, I love Vince Vaughn, but nevertheless, why?
2. Sideways. Two men reaching middle age with not much to show but disappointment, embark on a week long road trip through California’s wine country, just as one is about to take a trip down the aisle. Paul Giamatti is excellent and apart from Pulp Fiction and The Hours this is the only movie I have seen twice at the cinema.
1. Edward Scissorhands. An uncommonly gentle young man, who happens to have scissors for hands, falls in love with a beautiful teenage girl. Made way back in Tim Burton’s pre-remake era. Remember when he still had some originality? Yeah, me too. Anyway, this movie is just lovely!
I know that last time when I made a Top Ten Favorite Amnesia Movie List I got slammed for not putting Overboard high up enough for some people. So what about this time? Am I right on the button or do you think I have missed something obvious? Let me know!
More lists from Lunki and Sika:
Top 10 Steps to Becoming a Hollywood Celebrity
Top 10 Most Annoying TV Characters (2011 Edition)
My Top 5 Worst Movies of 2010
My Top 10 Favorite Movies of 2010
My Top 10 Favorite TV Shows Older Than Me
My Top 10 Favorite Amnesia Movies
My Top 10 Favorite Kids Movies to make grown Men Cry
My Top 10 Favorite Lonely Movies
My Top 5 Unforgettable Movies